Lakewood Ranch Lasik
Article provided by: Coastal Eye Institute
If you live in the Lakewood Ranch area and are considering Lasik, contact Coastal Eye to schedule an appointment to determine if you are a candidate for Lasik surgery. With four convenient local offices, Coastal Eye is able to work around your busy schedule to get you in for an evaluation.
Lasik surgery may be able to correct your vision to 20/20 and eliminate your dependence on eyeglasses or contact lenses. Your lakewood Ranch Lasik doctor will perform a thorough eye exam and let you know if you are a good candidate to have the surgery performed.
During your evaluation, the doctor will check the shape and the thickness of your cornea, as well as other factors with regard to pupil size, whether you are nearsighted, farsighted or have astigmatism. Your eyes will be checked for moistness and a map of your cornea will be created. Your general health and list of medications that you are taking will also have an effect on whether or not Lasik is a good option for you.
If your Lakewood Ranch Lasik doctor believes you are a good match for the procedure, you will be scheduled for Lasik. Patients often experience a certain amount of nervousness before Lasik and are interested to learn about what they can expect during Lasik surgery. The following may be helpful in letting you know what you can expect during Lasik surgery:
– Numbing drops will be applied to your eye to prevent discomfort during Lasik. You may also be given some medication prior to the surgery to help you relax and feel comfortable during the procedure.
– Your eye lids will be kept open with an instrument and your eye will be positioned correctly under the laser.
– An ink marker will be used to mark your cornea and a suction ring will be gently applied to your eye to prevent any eye movements from occurring.
– A corneal flap will be created and a computer will adjust the laser for your eye surgery.
– Your doctor will send pulses of light to your cornea while watching through a microscope as you look at a target light.
– The laser pulses will reshape your cornea, painlessly, while you may feel some pressure and hear clicking while the laser is performing the surgery.
It really is no more difficult than that! After Lasik, you will rest for a moment and my feel a temporary burning or itching of the eye following the procedure. There will be a post-operative exam the will take only a moment, and then you will be allowed to go home with a driver. You will not be able to drive until after your exam on the following day when your doctor tells you that your vision meets the driving standards.
Contact your Lakewood Ranch Lasik Institute by calling 941-748-1818 to schedule an appointment for Lasik surgery, or go online to coastaleye.com where you can learn more about Lasik, how it can improve your vision and free you up from wearing eyeglasses or contact lenses.